All of us like to save money, and especially when we're shopping for car insurance online. We also like to know that if we do get into an accident, we have good coverage. Right?! And regardless of who is at-fault, we want to know that there will be coverage for my car, the other car, and anyone who may have been injured in the accident. And of course, we hope our deductible is not too high.
So how do we accomplish all this without spending too much money?
Shopping online for car insurance has become the answer to these concerns allowing you to take control of coverage and price. In minutes you're able to get quotes from multiple carriers whereas before the advent of the internet you had to either physically go visit several insurance agents, or get out the yellow pages, get on the phone, and sit through hours of questions with insurance agents trying their hardest to sell you car insurance from their company, just to find the cheapest deal and not always the best coverage.
Finding the right car insurance is, in many ways, like buying a car. Perhaps you want a car that will carry people, or haul things; a car the gets good gas mileage; a car that looks good but also drives well; or maybe a car that is fast, safe, and luxurious but doesn't cost too much. Shopping for car insurance can be the same thing.
Perhaps you want insurance that covers your State's minimum insurance requirements. Perhaps you want the cheapest auto insurance policy you can find, and nothing more. Or perhaps you want all the coverages available but at the lowest possible price. Maybe you're more concerned with coverage for car theft, liability insurance, or whether the insurer will be there to pay your claims should you be involved in an accident. Perhaps you have had claims before and were not satisfied with the way your claim was handled so you want a carrier known for having superior customer service. No matter what your needs, shopping online today gets those needs met.
Now, what can YOU do to keep the cost of car insurance low? There are several things within your control.
1. The most obvious. Do not speed. Obey all traffic signs and rules of the road.
2. Do not drink and drive. DUIs stay on your MVR for 5 or 10 years depending on your state.
3. Do not drive in a reckless or negligent manner.
4. Do not text and drive. Over 300,000/year accidents are caused by texting while driving. Most of these accidents lead to severe injuries.
5. Maintain a clean driving history. If you are unlucky one day and receive a ticket, and if your State allows you to take a driving school class to remove the ticket, DO IT! This maintains your clean driving record and most car insurance companies give you the Clean Driver Discount which is usually up to 20% or more, a hefty savings!
6. Check to see what car insurance discounts are available. Some don't know about all the discounts available, so dig around.
7. Understand what are the basic universal factors that affect the cost of car insurance. Some things you cannot control, like age, sex, marital status, zip code, and type of car you drive.
Some things you can control, like deductibles and limits of coverage.
8. Try to maintain the highest deductibles you can comfortable handle because while the higher deductibles bring down the cost of car insurance, they can really sting if you cause a car accident. The only thing to beware of concerning having a lower deductible is that it raises your immediate monthly cost of car insurance.
9. Try to buy the highest limits of liability coverage you can afford in the event that the "worse case scenario" ever does arise, but not so high of coverage that it's breaking your bank account either. You need to find that happy middle ground sometimes between what we want and what we can afford, which again is why it's so important to shop online for car insurance as often as possible. Which brings us to the next tip for saving money when shopping for car insurance.
10. Shop online often. Don't assume that just because you've been with a company for 2 - 3 years now they're still giving you the best deal because chances are, they are not. Rates change constantly.
And shopping online is a fast, efficient, and informative. Most insurance company websites, if you read their privacy policies, do not give out your personal information, and in some states it's even illegal to do so. So shop car insurance prices often to be sure you still have the lowest rate.
Many would be surprised to know that independent insurance agents receive updates from insurance companies twice a month. So what does this mean? It means shop, and shop often, in order to be sure that you're getting the best deal money can buy on your car insurance.
For other tips and tricks, check out the FAQs Page where you'll also find, in addition to methods of saving money on auto insurance, an entire section devoted to plain English definitions of car insurance related terms, helping you find more ways to save money. We hope this has been helpful for you and that you will bookmark this page, and come back often to shop through our various online insurance companies with one easy-to-complete quick online application.